When you go to a clinic to undergo a surgical or a non-surgical procedure, you expect the person that is carrying out the treatment to be qualified and experienced.
Unfortunately, there have been many cases where patients have had treatments performed by unqualified doctors that have no qualifications in the procedures they are offering.
This can expose patients to very unsafe practices with extremely bad health outcomes.
For example, there are many advertisements that can be found on the internet for hugely discounted treatments such as anti-wrinkle injections and dermal fillers. Many of these offers are high risk to patients due to the unknown credentials of the practitioner and the uncertainty of the quality of product and machinery being used. A Beauty Therapist was recently fined for importing anti-wrinkle injections over the internet and using it on a client.
We have created another article which goes into more detail on such issues, which can be read here. https://vivaskinclinics.com/treatment-discount-deals-are-they-a-good-or-a-bad-idea/
Non-surgical treatments do not have to be carried out by a GP with medical qualifications.
Statistics show that 16% of non-surgical practitioners in the UK and Ireland carry out cosmetic procedures, 53% of those carry out anti-wrinkle injections and dermal fillers and 40% of Doctors that carry out these procedures are GP’s.
To protect patients undergoing surgical and non surgical treatments, the following steps are being taken both in the UK and Ireland to clamp down on procedures carried out by doctors, nurses and individuals who are not suitably qualified to do so.
- An ombudsman to oversee all private healthcare, including cosmetic procedures, to help those who have been treated poorly
- A ban on special financial offers for surgery
- A register of everyone who performs surgical or non-surgical cosmetic interventions
- Ensuring all practitioners are properly qualified for all the procedures they offer
- All non-surgical procedures must be performed under the responsibility of a clinical professional who has gained the accredited qualification to prescribe, administer and supervise aesthetic procedures
- An advertising code of conduct with mandatory compliance for practitioners
It is extremely important that you do thorough research on any clinic along with its practitioners before you agree to undergo any form of surgical or non-surgical treatments. Your health and your financial investment in such treatments depends on it.
Here at Viva Skin Clinics, we are proud to be able to assure all of our patients that they are in highly qualified and experienced hands with our expert, advanced level trained, medical doctors.