What are hooded eyes?
Hooded eyes, also known as droopy eyelids, are known as an eye shape where excess skin and soft tissue around the eyebrow covers the eyelid, but not the eye. The condition is coined ‘hooded eyes’ because the skin forms a “hood” over the eyelid, leaving a visible crease.
What causes hooded eyes?
There are 3 common causes of hooded eyes:
- Genetics – In some cases, hooded eyes are a result of genetics. People with hooded eyes may find that the skin below the eyebrow touches or comes close to their eyelashes. Whilst the condition shouldn’t effect their sight, often it effects peoples confidence as the appearance is often seen as less aesthetically pleasing.
- Age – It is a common condition often seen in those at an older age as the symptom is normally a product of ageing. As we get older, our skin loses its elasticity and structure, leading to a noticeable droop. The muscles above the eye responsible for lifting the eyelid stretch as we age, resulting in the skin stretching and fat pockets becoming more prominent, causing drooping and therefore hooding of the eyelid.
- Medical causes – In some rare cases medical conditions can give the impression of hooded eyes, known as a ptosis and often requires medical attention.
Can hooded eyelids cause vision problems?
In most causes, hooded eyes shouldn’t cause any vision problems that need interference. In some cases where there is severe drooping or sagging around the upper eyelids, your peripheral vision may start to become compromised.
If someone suffers from severe hooded eyelids, some complications include:
- Difficulty reading or seeing
- Inability to safely operate a motor vehicle such as a car
- Pain in the eyes or watery eyes
Can hooded eyes be fixed?
Yes, there are ways in which hooded eyes can be fixed. The method used to treat hooded eyelids varies dependent on the severity of hooded eyes. If one suffers from severe hooded eyes, it can be be corrected with a surgical procedure known as a blepharoplasty. The procedure removes excess skin and fat and tightens the muscles and tissue of the eyelid. However, if one doesn’t suffer severely, there are non-surgical procedures that can tackle the problem.
Does botox fix hooded eyelids?
Botox injections are a great solution for treating hooded eyelids. The treatment can treat a low eyebrow position or slight brow drooping, which is causing the eyelids to hang lower than they should be. Anti-wrinkle injections can be used in the outer end of the eyebrow to lift the eyebrow slightly, making the eyelids look more elevated and less droopy.
Can filler fix hooded eyelids?
Whilst botox is the most effective way to prevent and treat hooded eyes, dermal filler treatment is also an effective way to treat hooded eyes. Temple filler in particular is a great solution.
Temple filler is a non-surgical treatment which involves injecting hyaluronic acid into the temple area to help treat sunken temples. Sunken or hollowing temples are a result of ageing process so temple filler restores lost volume using hyaluronic acid (HA) gel.
This treatment is designed to improve the appearance of tiredness around the eyes and heavy brows.
How can I prevent hooded eyes?
As stated before, the most common cause of hooded eyelids is ageing, therefore if you want to prevent them from happening, there are some steps to take. The most effective way to prevent hooded eyes is anti-wrinkle injections. Botox is a brilliant treatment to start for patients in their mid to late 20s and early 30s to prevent the formation of hooded eyes.
Why choose VIVA Skin Clinics for hooded eyes treatment?
VIVA Skin Clinics is the UK’s leading luxury independent medical aesthetic practice, specialising in non-surgical treatments. We work to boost confidence and subtly enhance natural beauty with a select number of treatments using our signature technique. With a science based and results orientated mindset we offer natural dermal filler treatments, anti-wrinkle injections and skin health to restore balance and enhance patient lives. Here’s 5 reasons why you can trust us with treatment for your hooded eyes:
- We use high quality products – As patient safety and natural results are most important, VIVA only use premium FDA approved products for all treatments, including Botox and Juvederm by Allergan.
- We are medical – led – Our team of medical injectors are made up of doctors and nurses who have years of experience in the industry.
- You are in safe hands – You will receive an expert consultation before treatment as well as brilliant aftercare advice.
- VIVA is a non-surgical specialist clinic, proudly treating over 1,000 patients a year.
- VIVA is a trusted Cosmetic Clinic for 10+ Years. They have been operating since 2012 specialising in only cosmetic procedures.
How to book in for hooded eyelid treatment
We require all new patients to book a FREE full-face consultation ahead of treatment with us. In this consultation we will assess your face holistically in order to create your own bespoke treatment plan. You can book your free hooded eyelid treatment.