How to prepare for your dermal filler appointment
So, it’s your first dermal filler appointment… How exciting!
Largely used as an anti-ageing injectable treatment, dermal fillers help to restore lost volume to the face and hands as well as accelerate the production of collagen in the skin where collagen and elastin production has begun to deplete due to the ageing process.
At VIVA Skin Clinics, we specialise in dermal filler treatments, therefore we have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to getting prepared for your treatment. Here are our tips…
What do I do before filler treatment?
One week before
- We recommend avoiding blood thinning medications, like Aspirin and Ibuprofen before treatments as these can increase your chances of bruising.
- Avoid dental procedures or cleanings 2 weeks prior to your dermal filler treatment.
48 hours before
- Avoid using anti-ageing skincare products containing, Retinol, Retinoid, Glycolic Acid, or other exfoliating agents.
- Do not shave, wax, thread, pluck or use depilatory cream on the area to be treated.
- If you are prone to bruising consider taking Arnica, this is not required however it could lessen your chance of bruising.
24 hours before
- We recommend not drinking any alcoholic beverages 24 hours prior to treatment (and 24 hours after) to prevent bruising.
What should I do on the day of my filler appointment?
- Arrive with your face washed, and without makeup – if you don’t have enough time to remove your makeup, we can do so for you.
- Please have something to eat and drink prior to arriving so you are not on an empty stomach – we have water on hand in the clinic in case.
- Relax and enjoy… You’re in very safe hands!
Whilst we’re here, let’s quickly discuss what you should do after your dermal filler treatment.
What should I do after my dermal filler treatment?
Immediately after getting fillers, you will be asked to follow the following aftercare:
- Avoid any heat-inducing activities for 24 hours such as strenuous exercise, spas, saunas and hot showers.
- Avoid pressure on the area for the first 48 hours (no face-down massages).
- Avoid alcohol for 24 hours
- Avoid active cosmeceutical products (AHAs, retinol, vitamin C) and oil-based makeup for 24 hours.
- Avoid touching the face too to avoid infection.
- Avoid facials, waxing, chemical peels, skin needling, microdermabrasion, IPL or laser treatments for 2 weeks after treatment.
- Do not massage the treatment area unless instructed to do so.
Closely following these guidelines can help to ensure optimal results.
Interested in a dermal filler treatment with us?
Head to our booking page, to book a consultation at our Chelsea or Kent Clinic.